Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Homemade Caldo de Pollo Recipe


I have been feeling under the weather since Sunday and I wanted to make myself and my family a homemade Caldo de Pollo and want to share with you my recipe.
I didn't want to go to HEB because it is usually very packed on Monday evenings so I decided to go to my local Sprouts because it is rarely not as packed as HEB and I could go in and out in 20 minutes.

So here's what I got at Sprouts for my Caldo de Pollo:
-Corn on the Cob 2 for $1
-1lb bag baby Carrots $1.69ea. 
-Celery $.98ea. 
-Green Cabbage $.49lb.
-Italian Squash, Green $1.08lb.
-Lemons 2 for $1
-Chicken Drumsticks $4.40 for 5
-Chicken Half Breast $4.11 for 4 small breasts
-White Corn Tortillas $3.29ea. Buy One Get One Free 
Go here for a list of your ad at your local Sprouts.



I boiled all chicken pieces and added 5 Knorr Bouillon Cubes.
I cut up yellow-gold potatoes (about 4 medium-these cook faster and are softer than regular potatoes), 3 celery stalks, squash (2 cut up in small-medium pieces), 2 corn cob, cabbage (about 1/3), and one jalapeno cut in half to give a bit of spice.

Once I knew the chicken was very well cooked I decided to add the corn, potatoes, and baby carrots. 
Then after a couple of minutes I added the rest of the vegetables and let simmer for about an hour on medium-high.

Meanwhile I prepared the brown rice. Usually you will see a Caldo de Pollo made with red-spanish rice but today I wanted to use something healthier.
So I boiled 1 cup of brown rice with 2 cups of water and added 2 Knorr Chicken Bouillon Cubes and a bunch of cut up cilantro and let it simmer on medium-low. Brown Rice cooks longer than White Rice so make sure it is soft and not hard when you taste it. 
My husband wasn't too sure about trying the brown rice but when he did he was very surprised at the taste and he loved it and so did my daughters.
I accompanied my Caldo de Pollo with some Corn with Wheat Tortillas and I gotta tell you they taste very good! It was my first time trying them out and my family loved them. My daughters even ate some with butter after heating them up in the comal and they were so pleased with the taste.
I smeared a lemon on the tortilla and added some salt to it after it's been heated up and roll the tortilla to eat with my delicious Caldo de Pollo.
I am feeling so much better now. 
Try it and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment